Friday, May 28, 2010

Flashback Entry 4: Anyone Can Play -Robby-

Do you know what it's like to walk around your entire life with out having anyone who would understand you? Having no one who would give you a chance to prove your words to be true? My life was like that until I met them.

I had seen them at the library many times, playing a game I'd never heard of. Every day I listened to the story. A story of a group of heroes doing their best to save what was left of their world. I was entranced by the depth of the game and the opportunities that it presented.

The loneliness I'd felt my whole life seemed to slip away as I listened and soon I longed to join these heroes on their quest; to ride on the back of dragons and wield power beyond imagining. I felt some connection to these fictional characters and because of that, I began to feel a connection to the people they represented.

Something in me made me approach them and I'm not sure exactly what it was.

"Can I join you guys?"

"No.", a large guy piped.

I shouldn't have tried. Sadness filled me like usual as I turned to walk away.

"John, I'm not going to stop anyone from playing this game. It's not like it's an exclusive club or anything."

I turned back to them and the tall, skinny guy looked at me, smiled and said, "Sure you can play, but you'll have to make a character."

Over time I got to know them better and respect them each for their own brand of strength. Tim, the smart one whose talents were admirable. John, the tough one whose heart is bigger than his ability to reason. Jay, resilient and creative with just a touch of anger.

I didn't feel as alone anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment